Gainesville Moms

A place for moms to connect

Had spinal surgery a couple weeks ago and have some questions :-)

Hey Moms! It's been a rough past couple weeks in our house. I had spinal surgery on Dec. 11 and the road to recovery has been tougher than I anticipated. I am getting around a bit better now (no more walker!), but I still have to wear a brace and am not able to bend, twist or lift, which means no picking up my girls. :-( Not being able to take care of my girls like I am used to has been the toughest part of all this, but I am hopeful this surgery will help to eliminate my back pain in the long run.

Have you or anyone you know ever had spinal fusion? What was the recovery like? Have you ever had any type of surgery that kept you from being able to do your normal day-to-day for a while? I would love tips on how to explain to my girls, especially my 2-year-old why I can't get down on the floor to play, pick her up, etc.

Thanks!!

Views: 485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Dad had spinal fusion completed in C4-C6 (I think) in Dec 2003. It took him about 3-6 months for a full recovery. Luckily by the time he had his surgery I had already had mine and was out of the wheelchair, so I was able to help some. We were in a really bad car wreck in April of that year. 

My son was 1 at the time, so it was hard on us, but we had a lot of help. Do you have anyone who can help, even if it is to just play with the little ones? Can you do some crafty type stuff up at a table with them? I know you probably cannot bend/lift or do a whole lot yet. 

Oh wow! I'm glad to hear you all were OK!  My hubby is a teacher so he was home during the winter break, but he had to go back today. :-( Luckily I do have some help! I have a wonderful friend who started caring for my 2-year-old part-time today until I can recover a bit more. I have really never been apart from my baby, so I am really missing her today! And another awesome mom is going to bring my eldest home from school for me for a few weeks. Thankfully my eldest is an AMAZING helper! Crafts are a great idea! I warned my hubby that the house will probably be a complete wreck when he gets home. :-)

Nastassia Bushey said:

My Dad had spinal fusion completed in C4-C6 (I think) in Dec 2003. It took him about 3-6 months for a full recovery. Luckily by the time he had his surgery I had already had mine and was out of the wheelchair, so I was able to help some. We were in a really bad car wreck in April of that year. 

My son was 1 at the time, so it was hard on us, but we had a lot of help. Do you have anyone who can help, even if it is to just play with the little ones? Can you do some crafty type stuff up at a table with them? I know you probably cannot bend/lift or do a whole lot yet. 

I had a spinal fusion because I had a tumor removed from my spine. I wore a brace for 3 months. I just had to let go and let others do things for me. I think everyone's recovery is different. I had some nerve damage so that has slowed me down too. I am starting radiation on Monday. My children are grown so I don't have the same problems as you. The worst thing has been not being able to work. I am hoping to go back next year. It takes time but you will get so much better. Best of luck to you.

I've never had a serious surgery like this, but after my daughter was born, I was recovering from a C-section and my then-2 y/o son wanted me to get on the floor with him, carry him, etc. My cousin suggested doing puzzles, storytime, drawing, etc. so we could still spend time together. I also explained to him that Mommy had a booboo which was very fascinating to him. :)

Wow, sounds like you are going through a lot! I hope your radiation goes well for you!

Christine Gregory said:

I had a spinal fusion because I had a tumor removed from my spine. I wore a brace for 3 months. I just had to let go and let others do things for me. I think everyone's recovery is different. I had some nerve damage so that has slowed me down too. I am starting radiation on Monday. My children are grown so I don't have the same problems as you. The worst thing has been not being able to work. I am hoping to go back next year. It takes time but you will get so much better. Best of luck to you.

Why is it kids like to talk about boo-boos so much? :-) I showed my boo-boos to my daughters to help them understand why I couldn't do as much as I would like to, and I think it did help!

Olivia Pitkethly said:

I've never had a serious surgery like this, but after my daughter was born, I was recovering from a C-section and my then-2 y/o son wanted me to get on the floor with him, carry him, etc. My cousin suggested doing puzzles, storytime, drawing, etc. so we could still spend time together. I also explained to him that Mommy had a booboo which was very fascinating to him. :)

WOW, you poor thing.  I broke my arm when Evie was a baby and that was hard carrying her and changing diapers and getting her in and out of the carseat and into the stroller.  I was a single mom then.  My only advice is to ask for help.  I hate being dependant on others and to ask for help.  HATE IT.  But if others are asking how can I help or offering assistance, take them on it because you know you have helped other moms in need before and you would do the same so just remember that and say yes thank you.  Its very important that your injury or surgery site heal properly so that for the long term you can play puzzles with those girls on the floor.  My arm still hurts me and gives me fits and I think its cause I over did  it three years ago. 

I hope you're doing better Stacy. I have improved so much just in the time since I first posted. 

I can move a lot more easily. So far I am tolerating the radiation well.Take care.

Thanks Christine! I'm glad to hear things are going well for you!


Christine Gregory said:

I hope you're doing better Stacy. I have improved so much just in the time since I first posted. 

I can move a lot more easily. So far I am tolerating the radiation well.Take care.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About Gainesvillemoms.com

GainesvilleMoms.com moderator Stacy Fournier is a Gator grad and freelance journalist. But she does her most important work at home as a wife and mommy to daughters Aubrey, born March 2006, and Riley, born June 2010. Read more about GainesvilleMoms.com or contact Stacy at gainesvillemoms@gainesville.com.

Mom Mail, Deals, and Mom T-Shirts

  • Moms get your GainesvilleMoms T-shirts for only $10! Support education in our community and your favorite website. The proceeds from t-shirt sales benefit Newspaper in Education (NIE). NIE provides newspapers in classrooms so that students learn about their community with a textbook that is updated daily. To purchase a t-shirt email moderator Stacy Fournier at gainesvillemoms@gainesville.com.

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Gainesville Moms Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service