Gainesville Moms

A place for moms to connect

I'm sure glad I saw this! Some baby slings will now get safety warnings after deaths due to infant suffocation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35782340/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

This was actually the exact type of sling I planned to get for baby #2...Did any of you use these? I thought they looked like they would work so well!!

Now I'm not sure what to use. I know I'll need something to help carry baby #2 when I'm tending to Aubrey. Any suggestions??

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually just went to the fabric store and bought a couple of yards of fabric to make my own. it works great. ofcourse, i am not carrying a newborn so the chance of him suffocating isnt as high, but its wayyy cheaper tahn buying one. i got all the fabric for only 4 dollars, compared to a sling that is 30$-60$.

also, gainesville baby wearing on facebook may have some suggestions for you!

I find it hard to think that i could let my child suffocate in a sling, even if he were a newborn. you have got to be paying zero attention to let that happen.
I was given a baby sling as well as a "Moby" baby wrap and thus far I've not had any problems with either of them. I use the sling more than the "Moby" because Channing not in controll of his head enough for me to be comfortable with him in the "Moby".

The sling has soft straps for the waist, I belive it is the Eddie Bauer sling from Target and it has made going shopping and walking out and about so much easier. I like using it in places such as Wal-Mart and Target because people are less likely to come up and touch the baby if he is up against me as opposed to being in his carrier or stroller. The only downside I've found with his sling is that he can get a little warm depending on what he is wearing and the temp outside. But because he was born on the 2nd of December it has mostly been cold out so he loves staying nice and snuggly warm while being right up against me!

I agree with Patience that as long as you are paying attention to the baby there shouldn't be any issues.
I use the baby k'tan sling and really like it because it can be used for carrying in many positions (cradle, sitting up facing you, facing out, etc.). I imagine it would be easy to replicate with your own fabric, as it's only made of three loops, and they have instructional videos online, too.

I had a Hotsling but Emma outgrew it too quickly before she could sit up on her own, so that didn't help me as much. In the k'tan, I can have her nap or watch while I vacuum, go on a walk, or do chores. Hope this helps!
I have the ERGO baby carrier and absolutely love it. I have also heard great things about the K'tan as well. Weecycle in town has a bunch (including the ergo & k'tan) that you can try on and try out. Good luck! I'm also agree with Patience-- those parents must have not been paying close enough attention.... but who knows what they were doing- there are some strange people out there.
I purchased a baby sling (the one shown in the article) for my 2nd baby. I used it once, and decided I wouldn't use it anymore. I HATED it! It was so hard to get the baby in and out of, as I was being very cautious not to let her fall out or get her limbs stuck in the straps, and, like they said, I was very concerned about my daughter's position while in the sling-very scrunched-up. I knoew it couldn't be good for her. I continued to usie just the infant carrier/carseat I had with the double stroller for my older daughter as well.
I have a mei tai style carrier that I got from Weecycle when my first son was around a year old. It was made locally & I'm now using it with my infant. As long as it's tied correctly, it will pretty much hold up to whatever weight you can handle. I love it!
Stacy, I have a HotSling and two baby carriers that you can have. I never used the sling although I was really looking forward to it. He just looked really uncomfortable in it and I just couldn't get used to it.

The carriers were my SIL's and we never used them either. I can email you the info/pics, if you want.
Many of the parents at school have infants, and almost all of them use some type of sling/wrap. The babies always look very comfy and I've never heard of anyone having an issue. It seems to me (and I'm certainly no expert here!) that a mom would know if her baby was not breathing correctly.
Hey! I just sent you a message :-)

LittleMonkeysMom said:
Stacy, I have a HotSling and two baby carriers that you can have. I never used the sling although I was really looking forward to it. He just looked really uncomfortable in it and I just couldn't get used to it.

The carriers were my SIL's and we never used them either. I can email you the info/pics, if you want.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About Gainesvillemoms.com

GainesvilleMoms.com moderator Stacy Fournier is a Gator grad and freelance journalist. But she does her most important work at home as a wife and mommy to daughters Aubrey, born March 2006, and Riley, born June 2010. Read more about GainesvilleMoms.com or contact Stacy at gainesvillemoms@gainesville.com.

Mom Mail, Deals, and Mom T-Shirts

• Moms get your GainesvilleMoms T-shirts for only $10! Support education in our community and your favorite website. The proceeds from t-shirt sales benefit Newspaper in Education (NIE). NIE provides newspapers in classrooms so that students learn about their community with a textbook that is updated daily. To purchase a t-shirt email moderator Stacy Fournier at gainesvillemoms@gainesville.com.

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Gainesville Moms Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service